A Painting A Day
Workshop by Lisa Daria Kennedy
June 2-3 , 2018, 11AM-6PM
Members: $250, Non-members: $300
This workshop will embrace the painting process and the importance of a regular practice as a path to improving creativity and image making skills. Using acrylic or oil, students will discover approaches to simplify the process of painting and ways to stay inspired and motivated.
Statement from the artist
THE DAILY PAINTING PROJECT
I’ve been making one small painting every single day for the last 2900 days.
After eight years, I’ve no intention of stopping. Having cancer as a young adult, I discovered living is not just surviving. At age 29, I was a lead artist in the giftware industry when I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. After six rounds of chemotherapy, one month of radiation, and now, years of monitoring to make sure I’m still cancer free, my perspective has changed. Young and faced with an existential crisis, I questioned, who am I? What does it all mean? Psychologically, existentially, transcendentally – what can a life amount to? I was acutely aware of all the time I’d wasted and the things I put off – like painting.
But, like a lot of artists, I had trouble working up momentum. After all I had been through, the idea of starting an artistic project and failing was terrifying. I had a moment of clarity and pared the creative process down to this one idea – show up for the job. I treat creativity like a disembodied spirit and that I simply must be present daily to receive it. I started showing up for my new job in 2009 and without excuse I wake up every day at five and I paint.
Click here for a list of materials.
THERE ARE FOUR WAYS TO REGISTER
• To register online please click here.
• Call 479.784.2787. Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover are accepted.
• Mail the registration form with credit card information, check or money order payable to Fort Smith Regional Art Museum Attn: Workshop, P.O. Box 1257, Fort Smith, AR 72902
• Fax the registration form with credit card information to 479.784.9071.
• The workshop has a limited number of participants in order to provide thorough and individualized attention to each student.
• Participants are expected be on time.
• There is no smoking during the workshop. Please have your cell phones off during class.
• If you have any special needs please let us know in advance, and we would be happy to assist you.
• Lunch will be provided.
A full refund (less a $50 processing fee) will be made if written notice of cancellation is received one month in advance; a 50% refund will be made if written cancellation is received 72 hours in advance. No refunds for no shows. If you cannot attend the workshop you may send a substitute participant in your place with advance notification to RAM’s office at 479-784-2787.
Travel and Lodging
Participants at the workshop are responsible for their own travel and lodging arrangements.
Lunch will be 1-2PM. Breaks when needed.
Water and coffee will be provided throughout the course of the workshop.
Image: Receiving Room II